Messelt News - 1998
- December, 1998
- Mailed out "Christmas" letter.
- Barb takes CBEST.
- Opa takes week trip to the Netherlands.
- Family sees "Antz."
- Barb's sister and family arrive for two week stay from frozen Decatur, Illinois.
- Barb starts extremely part-time work at local school.
- Family computer upgraded to Windows98 (!)
- Family sees "Prince Of Egypt"
- November, 1998
- Eric invited by alma mater, Biola University, to speak on panel for Business
student event regarding career, work, job prospects.
- Eric's birthday.
- Family visits "Chaffey-Garcia" house in old Etiwanda. Second oldest home in Rancho Cucamonga.
- Eric takes kids to Summit for train watching.
- Theo moves from crib to bed.
- October, 1998
- Eric starts teaching, "Words of Truth; Theology of the Bible" at church.
- New Messelt pet, "Matches," a mouse with a white tip at on its tail.
- Barb's sister, Patty, visits!
- Barb's father, Gerrit, celebrates 80th birthday.
- "Matches" dies; another mouse is brought in. Eric names it, "Verm."
- Marian and Irene attend GATE conference and take a web-page design course.
- More pets: four finches. A fifth is born!
- Marian concert. Marian is playing "second chair" trumpet.
- September, 1998
- Girls start school
- Irene applies for, and is accepted, to the school "Spirit
Committee." A Messelt makes it as a cheerleader!
- Marian goes to first dance; at our church.
- Theo responds to simple commands: "Look at your hands;" "Take doll to Marian;" etc.
- Barb and Eric attend "Open House" events at both girls schools (Ruth
Musser and Dona Merced).
- Barb and Eric participate in clean-up of church's ministry house, "Cornerstone." Much work with pick,
sledgehammers, shovels, and rakes. Much soreness in muscles for Eric in following days.
- "How To Brew A Proper Cup Of Tea" re-surfaces at Eric's
- August, 1998
- Eric teaches the girls about email and they start sending messages to Eric at work. Marian's are particularly
- Irene goes to her first overnight camp.
- Another heat wave -- we pray for the mechanical integrity of our Air Conditioning and the continued service
of Southern California Edison.
- Big summer storm: heat, thunder, lightning, and rain.
- July, 1998
- Marian's Birthday! Party and later dinner at Marie Callender's.
- Marian attends first week-long summer camp for Junior Highs.
- Decide not to move, after all; but does the inside of the house ever need painting!
- Clara, our 16 year old cat, died peacefully.
- Family mini-vacation: rented a cabin in Green Valley to escape the heat.
- Theo's first noun! He starts saying "light" and points at lights, windows, the sky, fans, the
- June, 1998
- House seems to be getting too small. Eric and Barb start house-hunting in the area.
- Irene goes with class to Renaissance Faire.
- Community Baptist Church has "Party In The Park" and twenty-year anniversary. Eric participates by
praying for training ministry for the next decade.
- Marian goes to first Jr. High church event: a car rally. Eric is one of the drivers.
- Eric & Barb join a new group working through Blackaby and King's "Experiencing
God" video series.
- Family goes to the Ballgame! The Rancho
Cucamonga Quakes verses San Bernardino.
- Irene's last class project: "A Midsummer's Night Dream." Irene plays
- Family goes to "Ice Crème Social" at Heritage House in Riverside.
- May, 1998:
- Eric teaches, "The Theology of God In Your Life" for Community Baptist Church "University".
- Theo starts running!
- Theo's first stomach flu. Passed on to Irene, then Barb.
- Barb and Eric's 16th anniversary.
- April, 1998:
- "www.messelt.org" is on the air!
- Easter: Eric participates in church's Easter choir and then lunch with the Maxwells.
- Family at Fleetwood company picnic.
- Eric gets Win95 peer-to-peer network going in house.
- Barb, Marian, and Irene go a racing at the Awana Gran Prix. Irene wins
"Mary Award" for Most Feminine Race Car.
- March, 1998:
- Family snow trip to Mt. Baldy area.
- Irene field trip to Fleet Science Museum.
- Eric hospitalized for nasty stomach flu.
- Marian and Irene ride Wells Fargo
stage coach as winners for library reading contest.
- Irene birthday party.
- Eric takes Irene out for Daddy Date dinner and dessert.
- Barb's Birthday dinner at Claim Jumper.
- Marian at Winter Camp - snow storm during camp.
- Family snow trip to pick up Marian.
- El Nino brings lots of rain, but also beautiful scenery.
- February, 1998:
- Theo's first birthday.
- Family snow trip to Crestline: no snow, only rain.
- Eric takes Marian out on Daddy Date to see "The Borrowers".
- January, 1998:
- Family drive to Wrightwood and Summit; Theo's first train
- Theo stands!
- Eric takes trains potting trip with Marian and Kaplan family to Cajon
- Theo's first Super Bowl: potato chips, dip, grown man yelling at top of lungs.
- Theo's first step!!