Messelt News 2000
- December, 2000
- Eric is a "Survivor" after a round of lay-offs at work.
- Irene has a Christmas concert at school.
- House sale listing is allowed to expire. Sigh.
- The Nation has a President for the next four years.
- Most of Barb's family comes to stay with us for Christmas. It was
no T.V. sitcom, but it was definitely a Full House.
- November, 2000
- The nation does it's popularity contest thing again. But a
funny thing happens on the way to the polling station.
- Messelt.Org back online after a prolonged
- Make offers on several houses, but...
- Our house doesn't sell. Double Arrrrrggh!!
- We all go out to the dessert to get our kicks on Route 66 and get as
far as Amboy. Theo is excited to see several trains.
- Special birthday treat for Eric - a trip to Disneyland! Well,
make that "a great excuse to go to Disneyland is Eric's
birthday!" We have a good time and the girls get to ride on
"It's A Small World" after all.
- October, 2000
- We host our friends, the Kaplans, to a day out at the Orange Empire
- Marian goes on Band trip to Las Vegas for regional competition.
- We put Casa Messelt on the market.
- Within one week, Casa Messelt is sold!
- But wait, the buyers are a little skittish...
- And then the buyers cancel! Arrrrggh!!!
- September, 2000
- Eric goes golfing for first time in ten years. It is nothing
to brag about.
- Theo's life changes dramatically - potty training begins in earnest.
- Barb and Eric attend "Leadership Conference" held at
Claremont Colleges and hosted by our church.
- Several things done with the house that should have been done years
ago: repair cracked window, replace carpet, remove old TV. mast, etc.
- August, 2000
- Gadzooks! Marian begins her first activity for High
Band Camp. Barb and Eric are now officially the parents of a
- We bite the bullet and decide it's time to look for another
house. We start looking and begin to fix up our house to 'show.'
- July, 2000
- With Barb's sister visiting, we attend the local fireworks show held
at Chaffey College.
- Barb and Eric go hiking in the local hills.
- The girls (who share a room) begin to have serious conflicts.
We begin to think creatively how to separate them. First move,
separate bunk beds.
- Family goes to visit old friends, the Hasens - recently moved into
new house in Mission Viejo.
- June, 2000
- Barb is getting serious about motorcycles - she buys a "parts
bike" to supplement her existing bike.
- Eric begins a course in "Java."
- Irene, as an end-of-elementary-school event, goes with her class to
Universal Studios (Barb chaperones).
- We spend a weekend in nearby mountains in Running Springs hosted by
- Marian scheduled for tonsillectomy but has to cancel.
- We start to address house space problem. Could Barb do her
study and crafts in a trailer? Given our budget, none of the
trailers available seem to be a wise use of money.
- May, 2000
- Eric has surgery to remove a "lipoma" (fatty growth) from
neck. What an adventure recovering from the anesthetic!
Now Eric has two inch scar as a souvenir.
- Because of some velocity enhanced traveling, Eric takes a break in
- April, 2000
- The Big Vacation. Eric drives up with Marian listening to
Beatles music visiting family, Lake Tahoe, Reno, northeastern
California, Crater Lake, and meets up with Barb, Irene, and Theo in
Portland. All drive to visit Eric's sister in Washington.
Stay there for a few days. Drive back to Portland. Barb,
Marian, and Theo fly back home while Eric and Irene drive down I-5
visiting Beatles music to San Francisco, visit family, and arrive back
- Eric begins the Culinary Culture Club at work. First event is
held at a Persian restaurant.
- Attend Rail Festival at Orange Empire Rail Museum hosting the
- March, 2000
- Family vacations for a weekend in rented house in Crestline.
Much quiet, walks through town, around Lake Gregory, and thoughts of
buying a 'mountain cabin.'
- Eric goes in for a round of diagnostic exams to determine what is
going on with a lump in his neck.
- Irene goes to Winter Camp!
- Theo begins potty training.
- Barb takes Motorcycle Safety course. She is the Motorcycle
- February, 2000
- Irene experiences believer's baptism on the 6th.
- Eric teaches apologetics seminar at church.
- Barb's dad buys new car for Barb to use as taxi service.
- Barb buys Honda CT-90 to scoot around town.
- Trips to snow in Wrightwood and Crestline.
- Eric judges Science Fair at local Christian High School.
- Theodore turns three years old!
- Whole family goes to Orange Empire Railway Museum to celebrate Theo's
birthday. Theo is ecstatic to see all the trains!
- Quadcentenial leap day: the world - again - doesn't end.
- Eric has fun analyzing internet
hoaxes all on his own.
- Eric attends Biola University library groundbreaking.
- Shelia, our dog, starts getting very ill. What could it
be? Barb takes her in and finds that Shelia is suffering from diabetes!
She begins a regimen of insulin and improves greatly.
- January, 2000
- The world didn't end; which is generally a good thing.
- Formation of Messelt, Incorporated. President and Secretary: Eric Messelt; Vice President and Treasurer: Barbara
Messelt; Employees: Marian Messelt and Irene.
- Barb's father has throat surgery.
- Marian starts another session at the Music Conservatory program at Cal State University, San
Bernardino - trumpet
and French horn.
- Shopping and buying new car for Eric's commute. What is it? Here a hint.
- Begin looking for inexpensive transportation for Barb's around-town errands.
- Eric is thrilled to have watched a Super Bowl game and enjoy it for the first time in years.