Messelt News - 2006
Here are some news highlights for the Messelts of Tumwater:
- January 2006
- Messelts (notably Irene) are In The News: link
to news story (click here)
- Eric completes a re-write of New Members materials for Emmanuel Baptist Church
- Barb does morning and afternoon babysitting; here, Theo and kids are walking to bus stop...
- Eric and Barb do pre-seminary getaway to Copper Creek Inn - very charming and cozy
- Eric's first day of seminary:
- Convocation - Dr. Bernard Downs
- "Prayer and Other Key Spiritual Disciplines" - Dr. Randal Roberts
- Lunch with Advisor, Dr. Carl Laney
- "Evangelism and Apologetics" - Dr. James Martin
- "Growing In Ethical Maturity" - Prof. Todd Miles
- "Theology II" [Man, Sin, Salvation] - Dr. Garry Bershears
- Eric helps form new organization, Northwest Christian Anglers
- Seattle Seahawks make it to the playoffs!
- Eric and Theo go shooting - Theo fires his first weapon, a .22 caliber pistol
- February 2006
- Record rains cause Deschutes river to produces a spectacular display over Tumwater
- Superbowl party!
- Barb comes with Eric to Seminary classes and sees the Portland sites guided by
- The Messelts and Hayes visit Multnomah and Horsetail Falls
- We attend "ONE Worship" Event held at
Overlake Christian Church. The big deal here is that ONE Worship has been going on
for a few years and our small group leader is the drummer for the band.
- Theo's Birthday!
- Marian leaves for California for two weeks - adventure!
- March 2006
- Late snow here...; Oh,
what fun it is to sing a sleighing song tonight...
- Kick off event for Northwest Christian Anglers: Andy Scott, the "Fishin'
Magician," host of "The Reel Deal" T.V. show, comes to
- Marian returns from California with tales and stories of strange doings
- Did you celebrate Pi Day (3-14 at 3:09PM)?
- Irene's and Barb's birthday dinner at Red Lobster
- Eric plays with band for church's women's retreat
- Spring Break!
- April 2006
- Eric goes to CMA Safety Day, but breaks down on way home: loose spark-plug wire!
- Irene has friends over for pizza and movie night; the house is abuz with
- Eric has Jesus conversation with Theo; Theo tells that he accepted Jesus
in his heart "way back when I was a kid a couple of years ago"
- Theo gets stomach flu
- Barb's niece, Carrie, gets sick with blood clot shortly after giving
birth to first child
- Irene leaves for East Coast trip - Washington, New York, Philadelphia,
- Eric signs up supporters for Run For Son motorcycle event
- Good Friday
- Irene returns home; she likes New York too much, we think!
- Easter!! We have the Minassians over for dinner.
- Eric meet George Patterson at World View Center and ends first semester
- Theo in kid's play at church: plays a rather convincing lion!
- May 2006
- Irene wakes up sick the day of her Advanced Placement examination!! She still manages
to get through it and feels she did well
- The next morning, Marian is hit with the flu; by the afternoon, Theo
comes down with minor symptoms
- After the mini-epidemic, Barb and I ride down to the Antique Motorcycle
museum located in the Hotel Washington building of Chehalis
- National Day of Prayer; Christians in Olympia gather on the steps of the
- Barb upgrades her motorcycle by buying a Hondamatic 750 from the same
folks who sold her the Hondamatic 400 last year
- Eric discovers a scam on Ebay and alerts the authorities
- Eric and friend Bob ride to the Run for the Son in Bremerton
- Irene co-stars in play at her High School - "Check, Please!" -
and she is, may I say?, absolutely brilliant!
- Barb's new bike is gone over by our local biker gurus
- Eric begins summer semester of seminary
- Developing Godly Leadership - Dr. John Johnson
- Theology III - Dr. Todd Miles
- Eric meets with pastor and outlines a ministry responsibility: Evangelistic Point Person for the church
- Mother's Day - Barb is honored!
- Pastor asks Eric to preach on Father's Day
- Irene has phone interview to work at Hume Lake Christian Camp this summer
- Eric takes Theo to pick up part at motorcycle shop and attempt to teach vocabulary: V-twin, in-line-four, cruiser, dual-sport, etc.
- Barb finds Goldwing motorcycle on ebay that looks legit; Eric puts in more-than-reasonable bid; we win! Yikes, now we have to pick up a motorcycle in Medford, Oregon
- So Barb and Eric spend their 24th anniversary driving to Medford and pick up the bike: it looks nicer in person than the picture -
and so Eric rides it back as Barb follows. On way back, Barb and Eric witness an accident on the south-bound lanes of I-5 - a couple of pieces of debris fly over Eric's head! We stop and call for help, but guy gets
out of his car and waves that he's OK.
- When we get to Portland, we take a two-up trip east on I-84, turn around
at Hood River, and come back on SR-14 in Washington - a good inaugural
- June 2006
- Eric, Barb, and Bob Basset ride out to pray with other chapter CMA'ers as
they ride to the state rally in Ephrata
- Barb sells her Hondamatic 400
- Barb chaperone's field trip for Theo's class: they walk from school to
Farmer's market, and then back to the Capitol grounds, and then a public bus
to the school
- Father's Day and Eric preaches! (audio
file in Windows Media format ".wma")
- Theo, after earning a reward, opts for a Tamagochi
- Marian begins her summer employment at Black
Lake Bible Camp; Marian is full-time resident during her employment
and works hard in the kitchen!
- Irene begins her first employment with Baskin-Robbins
Ice Cream in Tumwater
- Irene gets her SAT scores back - very respectable!
- July 2006
- Irene leaves for Louisiana for summer missions trip to continue
hurricane Katrina rebuilding
- Eric finishes summer classwork, then starts DVD course
- First meeting of Eric's Evangelism Task Force team
- Barb, Eric, and Theo invited to 4th of July party hosted by the
Goodins - much fun!
- Barb, Eric, and Theo take a day trip to see Mt. St. Helens
- Irene comes home from the missions trip with a new perspective - an
obviously great experience for her
- Marian turns 20 - we celebrate!!
- Eric rides with CMA-Washington's "Classic" rally - long
day but fun to get out
- Eric enters the world of blogging; see ericmesselt.blogspot.com
- Irene leaves to work the rest of the summer at Hume
Lake Christian Camp
- Eric does another ride to Mt. Rainier with friend; but we get
ticketed on the way back trying to pass a truck that's weaving over
both sides of its lane.
- Eric, Barb, and Theo go fishing with Northwest Christian Anglers at
Spanaway Lake. We don't catch anything but it's a fun way to spend
- Theo spending the summer riding his bike around the block
- Eric teaching adult Sunday School while Associate Pastor taking a
- August 2006
- Barb and Theo go out fishing, catch some Bluegill, and bring them
home. Barb cleans and cooks them so Theo understands the Hunter's Ethic:
you catch it, you eat it
- Eric has first "One on One" staff meeting with Pastor as
part of his duties as Director of Outreach; back to status reports and management
- but this time, it's much more important! Then briefed church elders
and they commissioned Eric in his new role
- Eric participates in his first "secular" motorcycle rally
with a ride sponsored by SoundRider
- Eric facilitates the Lord's Supper for Sunday morning worship
- Barb works for a week at Black Lake Bible camp as part of an exchange:
Barb labors and Theo gets to be part of their day camp program; the
first couple of days were tiring, but by the end of the week, Barb was
trooping with the youngsters.
- Theo goes to Black Lake Bible Camp day camp - makes a movie about
Daniel in the Lion's den; though it actually turns out to be a girl
named Daniela in a rabbit hutch - very cute
- Eric attends Leadership summit (review at eric.blogspot.com)
- Barb gets list of A.P. books Irene needs to read, buys them, and then
we send them to Irene in California
- Eric finishes up his last summer course by writing a expository paper
on Numbers 16 (need help sleeping at night? Try this)
- Eric leads Evangelism Task Force in "Soko Stand" for Upper
East Side Neighborhood Association "Garage Sale"
- Messelts host Bill and
Robin Harris at the Messelt home for a presentation of their
ministry. Eric and Bill were "good buddies" back in high
school and this was a wonderful time to re-connect and be encouraged
- Eric gets reading list from seminary; rides down to Portland and buys
- Barb decides we're spending too much time in doors to we go down to
Mossyrock Dam and fish in Riffe Lake
- Eric, Barb, Marian, and Theo go for extended weekend mini-vacation
through southern B.C. - see the write-up on Eric's blog
- September 2006
- Eric, Barb, and Theo do a backyard campout complete with s'mores
- Marian comes from from camp
- Irene comes back from California
- Eric starts a new semester; here's the schedule:
- Discovering Ministry Potential - Randal Roberts
- Pastoral Counseling - Norm Theisen
- Theology 1 - Gerry Breshears
- Coaching courses
- Eric hears Rabbi Herbert O. - former Orthodox rabbi now follower of Jesus
- Eric takes motorcycling camping trip down to Columbia River; stays at Timberlake
Campground - highly recommend it!
- Eric helps homeless-street people ministry get off the ground
- Marian gets driving Learner's Permit!
- Irene goes to Homecoming with Andrew
- October 2006
- Eric enjoys some ministry encouragement!
- Ouch! Irene gets in car accident
- Eric travels to Chicago to attend conference held at Willow Creek Community
Church and is able to view a pre-screening of "The Nativity" movie
- Marian brings home a kitty and names her, "Gir"
- Irene goes to see play in Seattle
- The cold weather comes - 23 in the morning
- November 2006
- Barb hosts local Moms In Touch for Black Hills High School
- Irene plays Evil Queen in her high school's production of "The Magic Flute"
- Drive-into-tree suicide occurs right across the street from the church
- Ted Haggard resignation hits the news
- Happy Birthday to my sister!
- Power failure
- Eric gets iPod for birthday present!
- Eric gets invitation to be grad fellow for next year
- Barb's sister and nephew come to visit - yea!
- Thanksgiving Weekend snow
- December 2006
- Eric and Theo participate and ride in the Olympia Toy Run
- Marian comes with Eric to visit Western Seminary
- Theo starts playing basketball with the YMCA
- Big windstorm and power failure - lasts three days
- Eric concludes first year of seminary!
News from 2005
News from 2004
News from 2003
News from 2002
News from 2001
News from 2000
News from 1999
News from 1998
News from 1997