Messelt News - 2002
Here are some news highlights for the Messelts of Rancho Cucamonga:
- January 2002
Eric joins the Board at Community Baptist Church of Alta Loma - first
meeting turns out to not be horrible at all! ;-)
Eric and Barb join a small group at church.
The Messelts join the Bandwidth revolution - that is, our cable carrier
finally got their act together and decided we really did have access to
their high-speed internet system.
Barb continues to take web development classes.
- February 2002
Eric begins to worry about overload! Too many things to do: church,
work, family, etc.
Messelt-niks take trip to L.A.'s China Town to cavort, frolic, and engage
the local economy.
Eric survives yet another round of lay-offs - this time contractors are
affected: all of whom are friends.
Irene is part of church's self-produced Rock Opera, "Judas."
Gadzooks! Eric gets another middle-aged hit: Gastronal-Intestinal
Reflux Disease; Zantac, here I come!
- March 2002
- We celebrate Theo's birthday by taking he and a friend to the Orange Empire Railway
- Eric locks his keys in his car. How discouraging when the AAA guy
opens the car up in less than ten seconds.
- Marian goes to winter camp.
- Irene's birthday: taking friends and family to Laguna Beach for picnic
and scramble across tide pool rocks. A couple of casualties as
Middle School girls don't believe in protecting their feet when it might
not look cool.
- Barbara's Birthday celebrated at The Claim Jumper! Theo, without
prompting from sisters, tells his mother, "Happy Birthday" when
she comes in to wake him up!
- April 2002
- Barb's sister, Patty, visits for a weekend.
- Theo, obsessed on trains since he was two, has a Most Excellent
Adventure as he visits the Union Pacific yard in Colton to ride in
- Eric's guitarist skills rewarded by purchase of a state-of-the-art
amplifier, the Line
6 Vetta Combo.
- May 2002
- Barb and Eric make mad (as a hare) dash up to visit Eric's sister in
Washington. We leave at 4:30am Friday, arrive at 10:00am Saturday,
visit Gretchen and conduct our business, then drive back arriving at 4:30pm
Sunday. So, just in case you wanted to know - it can be done in 48
- Black Tuesday at Eric's work: several friends and his boss are
laid-off. This just as Eric starts leading a special project for the
- The BIG EVENT! Barb and Eric's 20th anniversary! We leave
the kids and go to Disneyland, staying at the Grand Californian, eat out
at a fancy-smanchy restaurant, the "Napa
- June 2002
- Time for graduation: Dan Kopp, friend of Eric's and Flipside, graduates
with an incredible number of honors from the International School of
- Family blitz on back yard: pulling weeds, cleaning up, bonding!
- Eric teaches at mid-week service.
- Church's annual "Party In The Park" (translation: church
- Theo gets swimming lessons - he's a natural!
- July 2002
- Marian's 17th birthday! She and Daddy take a trip to Exposition Park to sample
the museums and grounds
- Eric travels to Virginia for business trip and meets up with old college friends
- August 2002
- Barb is hired by church as Administrative Assistant for Worship Ministries;
Barb pulls together music for bands, PowerPoint for Sunday worship as well as sermon
outlines, and does some 'set design' for Sunday morning worship times
- September 2002
- Big month!
- Marian begins Junior year!
- Irene begins 8th grade!
- Theo begins school as Kindergartener!
- October 2002
- Eric teaches for church "Alpha Class"
- Eric's concern about "overload" from February are set at ease when he is laid off
from from contract with Ceridian; what to do, now? Hmmmm....
- Eric takes intentional meetings with other friends on counsel and what may be
next step in his life's chapter
- Eric invited to and speaks on panel to Biola Business majors in Biola's new library
- Eric invited to counsel church on arrangements with Samaritan Counseling Center
- November 2002
- Eric invited to server, on church's behalf, on Samaritan Counseling Center's Board
- Eric continues to search for work; no leads as economy is in decline and few jobs
open up in Fall season
- New I-210 freeway opens up from Rancho Cucamonga to La Verne - now
everybody can get here!
- December 2002
- Eric does some computer work for friends, continues job search
- Christmas comes and we resolve to make it a time when we reflect on the birth of
Jesus, not about material presents; this includes our decision to not buy a Christmas
tree as we are unable to justify that expense given our economic situation
- However, some generous friends come bearing gifts in the night: a Christmas tree
left on our doorstep - nearly tripped over when we answer the doorbell! - and we feel
God's blessing for giving us such friends
- We pause to pursue a pictorial
News from 2001
News from 2000
News from 1999
News from 1998
News from 1997