Messelt News 2001
Here are some news highlights for the Messelts of Rancho Cucamonga:
- December 2001
- Eric invited to join church board. Much prayer and investigation.
- Attend licensing service of Jeff Logsdon as pastor of Flipside
- Kids come down with flu or cold.
- Buy Christmas tree - first for new house.
- Go to Planetarium show on the Nativity Star shown at college campus in San
- Christmas enjoyed with Happy Birthday Jesus party at church and "Spekok"
(traditional Dutch pastry - highly recommended).
- November 2001
- The Messelts visit relatives in Santa Maria. Visit old church, see
old friends, sight-see old "stompin' grounds."
- Eric plays in worship band for Men's retreat.
- Eric preaches at mid-week service on "God's Word and
Renewal." Think: Soul-flossing. See link.
- Saw "Harry Potter" movie.
- Thanksgiving: Barb's sister, Patty, visits.
- October 2001
- Barb and Eric attend the dedication of Biola University's new
library. Altogether, very impressive.
- Messelts attend the Bat Mitzvah of family friend's daughter. The
first time any of us have attended a Jewish synagogue service. On the
way to the service, watch as brush fire is fought in hills along freeway -
watch as airplane dumps flame retardant on fire and some of it falls on our
- September 2001
- Family outing to Oak Glen, the local "Apple Place."
- Marian starts her sophomore year; Irene begins 7th grade.
- Brewing crises at church keeps us busy: no moral issues, just a lack of
- "9-11" Has the world changed?
- Eric at Men's Ministry Leadership retreat: we now are the
- Eric teaches on Growing Biblically: Application (see link).
- August 2001
- We've been in Rancho Cucamonga five years!
- Eric attends Willow Creek Association Leadership Summit for second year.
- Barb continues to take more internet courses.
- There is celebration in Messelt household: a new refrigerator!
- Big neighborhood news - the new 210 freeway opens up a link to I-15 from
Day Creek Blvd.
- Eric goes to mid-life event for middle-aged pale guys: the Dermatologist
and the liquid nitrogen spray.
- July 2001
- Neighbors host block party - we get to meet others on the street!
- Eric continues teaching Men's Ministry "Equipping Seminar" on
Growing Biblically, this month's topic is Interpretation (see link)
- Marian birthday: movie and trip to San Diego Zoo!
- Eric continues to play music with the band, "Mid-Life Crisis."
- Irene goes to Junior High Summer camp.
- Then, it's Marian's turn for High School Summer camp.
- June 2001
- Barb takes "art museum" class and visits several art museums throughout southern California.
Marian and Irene accompany Barb to a couple of the museums.
- Irene, our budding actress, is in another school play. A stunning
- Marian has tonsillectomy.
- May 2001
- We learn that termites in the area have had a couple of Very Good
Years in the area and thus, We Must Tent before we can even consider closing
escrow. The family decamps to a local hotel for three days.
We did this before as we were moving to and from England.
Previous experience does not equate with pleasant experience.
- Irene, crime fighter! Email us to hear the whole story.
- After several scares during escrow, we move into
our new digs in Etiwanda on the 11th.
- It hits us, we are not going to be "moved in" for another
- April 2001
- The seller of the house we wish to buy begins to act peculiarly.
He threatens to cancel the sale for no apparent reason. Eric Has
Had Enough. Eric takes all those years of training and writes a
restrained, but forceful "nasty-gram" to the seller
emphasizing the importance of performing on a real estate sales
- Can you believe that for the first time in several years, we actually
dye Easter eggs? This is a big deal - family memory, wise!
- Of course, the real Big Deal is the celebration of Easter - the day
that Jesus raised himself from the dead to validate all his other claims
of Messiah-ship. "Verily, thou art the Christ!"
- You know, sometimes there is a lull at work? Here's one that
came up: Given the following math equation (noticeably without
using parenthesis), "2 * 4 / 2 * 3 = ?" Is the answer 12 or 1.333?
Those who went to high school from the mid-1970's and before said the
answer is, "1.333;" but those taking algebra later (and those
with significant college math) said, "12."
- Sometime here, Eric learns of a series of books called, "His Dark
Materials" by Phillip Pulman. Individually they are called, "The Golden Compass," "The Subtle
Knife," and "The Amber Spyglass." Though the reviewers considered
the writing talent superior, the content was characterized as
toxic. Anyone else hear about this author or this series?
- Our 13 year old dog, Shelia having a relapse of health problems and
then passes away.
- Continue doing several required repairs on our house to close
escrow. You know, the stuff I told myself I'd "get
around" to doing? Well, now's the time.
- March 2001
- We put our house on the market, again. Continued "Home
- Fence repair
- We celebrate Birthdays!!! Barb and Irene were born in March -
many presents and partying!
- Barb takes "E-Commerce" class as part of her Web Developer
- Unbelievably, The Messelts finally discover Veggie Tales.
Larry's Silly Songs restore our souls.
- Eric begins consulting work with Flipside
Church on "Growth Group" coaching.
- For the first time, we are victims of credit card fraud.
American Express is very helpful and clears up the problem right away.
- Marian has a Spring Concert - these concerts are much more serious at
the High School level! Marian, IMHO, is brilliant.
- Irene goes to Winter Camp and romps in snow.
- Eric getting Seriously involved with Men's Ministry leadership.
- February 2001
- Funeral for Barb's father.
- Barb is nominated executrix over her father's estate.
- Barb's family - again - goes back to their homes.
- More rain.
- Barb, Eric, and Theo go up to the mountains and play in the snow.
- Irene participates in a Hunger-In to raise money for famine victims.
- January 2001
- Barb's family heads back to their respective homes after a Christmas
- Postage goes up to $.34 for first class!
- Barb, Eric, and Theo go out into the mountains to watch trains and
hike the hills, and then get stuck in river-bottom sand.
- Barb's dad continues to have health problems.
- The first of the "rolling blackouts" hits the Bay area.
- Winter arrives with rain, cold, frost.
- We get a special deal an are able to get into Disney's California
Adventure before the official opening. Consider it a "Beta
Test" for a theme park.
- Barb's father passed away suddenly after a brief stay in the hospital.
- Barb's family comes back for funeral.
News from 2000
News from 1999
News from 1998
News from 1997